How to Care for Your Massage Table
Has your massage table upholstery been looking a bit drab as of late? Would you like to keep it looking like new? I don’t blame you. To help you reach this goal, we have put together a few simple upholstery care and maintenance tips. Before reading on, we remind you should always follow the specific instructions that your massage table manufacturer publishes. Not doing so can (and often does) void your warranty. Please note: Know Your Body Best sells Oakworks and Earthlite treatment tables exclusively.
Caring for Your Upholstery
Points to remember
- Keep your table out of extreme temperatures (hot or cold). Do not expose the fabric to temperatures below
32°F/0°C or above 95°F/35°C. Believe it or not, they can damage your table’s upholstery.
- Don’t store your table in your car. This is one of the most common causes of extreme temperature exposure.
- Always transport your table in a carry case. Frankly, this is a good idea even during storage.
- Always place a sheet or protective cover on you table before using.
Cleaning Your Upholstery
Points to remember
- Day-to-day dirt can generally be removed with a mild soap and water solution.
- To disinfect, or for more challenging stains, use a diluted simple green solution with a 10:1 water/simple green ratio. Always rinse your massage table’s surface with water before beginning the cleaning process.
- Allow your upholstery to dry before using the table or storing it.
NOTE: Armor All® or other citrus-based cleansers are NOT recommended on table upholstery. Neither are citrus based cleaners or other strong cleaners, such as alcohol, acetone, concentrations of bleach or other products that contain high concentrations of these substances.
- Don’t experiment with cleaning products on your table! They can cause irreversible damage to the upholstery, often voiding your warranty in the process. In my mind, it’s not worth the risk.
- When in doubt, call your manufacturer.
Repairing Your Upholstery
Fear not: if you have a table with damaged upholstery, all is not lost. There are still options available to you.
- A number of reputable table manufacturers will re-upholster tables for a fee. This fee is often quite minimal considering the potential costs of replacing the table.
- Ask us about our vinyl repair kit for small rips and tears.
- The maintenance and care of your table’s upholstery is critical to both its look and its longevity.
- Read the instructions your manufacturer has provided.