Your massage table is the most important investment in your career. Conscious care while looking after your table is paramount to a successful career as a Wellness Therapist.
Remove day-to-day dirt with a mild soap and water. Disinfect with Genie Plus products. Keep your massage table away from extreme temperatures.
Has your massage table upholstery been looking a bit drab lately? Would you like to keep it looking like new? I don’t blame you. To help you reach this goal, we have put together a few simple upholstery care and maintenance tips.
Before reading on, we remind you should always follow the specific instructions that your massage table manufacturer publishes. Not following these instructions can, and often does, void your warranty.
How to Care for Your Massage Table
- Keep your table out of extreme hot and cold temperatures. Believe it or not, the temperature can damage your table’s upholstery. It is not good to expose the massage table fabric to temperatures below 32°F/0°C or above 95°F/35°C.
- Do not store your table in your car. This is one of the most common causes of exposure to extremely cold temperatures.
- If you are using a portable massage table, always transport your table in a carry case. In fact, it is a good idea to keep your table in a carry case during storage.
- Always place a sheet or protective cover on your table before using it. This will add an extra layer of protection against damaging massage oils and lotions.
- Read your massage table warranties
Portable Table Care
- For portable tables, always use professional carry cases for transportation. Both Oakworks and Earthlight offer excellent professional carry cases.
- Always use a protective cover or fitted sheet during use. Several styles and colours are available.
1. Oakworks Protective Covers – Spa-full colour range
2. Oakworks Protective Covers – Massage portable table-full colour
3. Earthlite Protective Covers – Two colours only
4. Sanitary Protective Covers – White Only
How to Clean the Upholstery on a Massage Table
Usually, Day-to-day dirt can be removed with a mild soap and water solution. Furthermore, wipe down the massage table with just water to remove any residual soap.
To disinfect your table, or to remove more challenging stains, use a diluted simple green solution with a 10:1 water to simple green ratio. Know Your Body Best highly recommends using Genie Plus solutions or Genie Plus wipes to disinfect and condition your vinyl upholstery.
Always rinse your massage table’s surface with just water before beginning the cleaning process and afterwards. With that being said, allow the upholstery to dry before using the table again or before storing it.
Please note: Armor All® or other citrus-based cleansers are NOT recommended on table upholstery. Citrus based cleaners or other strong cleaners, such as alcohol, acetone, and concentrations of bleach or other products that contain high concentrations of these substances can damage your massage table upholstery.
Do not experiment with cleaning products on your table! Unknown cleaning products can cause irreversible damage to the upholstery. Oftentimes, this will void your table warranty. In our opinion, it is not worth the risk. If you are ever in doubt, call your manufacturer.
What to do if my Massage Table Upholstery Rips?
Fear not: if you have a table with damaged upholstery, all is not lost. There are still options available to you.
- A number of reputable table manufacturers will re-upholster tables for a fee. This fee is often minimal considering the potential costs of replacing the table completely.
- Know Your Body Best has a vinyl repair kit that can mend small rips and tears. Ask us about our vinyl repair kit.
- Read the instructions your manufacturer has provided.
- We also carry a variety of table pads and protective covers to increase the life of your table.
The maintenance and care of your table’s upholstery is critical to both its look and its longevity. Properly cleaning your table after use is critical.